Thursday, March 20, 2014

France: Quenelle used to harass Jews


In January I brought an interview with two Jewish teenagers who noted that people make the Quenelle gesture at them as an insult towards Jews.

In an article in Deutsche Welle on the situation of French Jews, the story repeats itself.
"I am French, born in Paris, says Salome Roussel. "I'm thinking about moving to Israel, because French people are more and more against Jews. They say we are a lobby, that we are the masters of the world, and it's not so!"

(...)

Salome Roussel cites a recent incident on the Paris metro as being illustrative of the pressures Jews face in France. A man sitting in front of her on the train smiled at her and caught sight of the Star of David she wears on a pendant around her neck. As he was getting off the train, he made the 'quenelle' gesture at her. 
He did it because "I've got a Star of David, and I'm a Jew," says Roussel, adding: "I'm not the system!"

No comments :

Post a Comment